Disabling / Enabling Different Builds on checkin

Topics: User Forum
Sep 22, 2006 at 7:56 PM
I need to define two separate builds in a project to deploy to different web servers using Microsoft's web deploy project.

I have created two separate solutions with different web deploy projects in them. Each separate web deploy project targets a different web server.

One of these builds needs to run on checkin for continuous integration while the other one should only be run manually to deploy the site for testing.

Is there a way in the current release or a future release to allow you to enable certain builds for continuous integration and have other defined builds only run by hand?

Jason
Sep 27, 2006 at 1:35 AM
i too would love to see that :) That way the production builds are done manually.
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2006 at 1:24 PM
This discussion has been copied to Work Item 3835. You may wish to continue further discussion there.
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2006 at 1:26 PM
Very good feedback, this will be added soon to the system.

I'm also investigating automatic click-once deployment if the Visual Studio project file has defined properties for this.

Currently, Visual Studio 2005 does more than MSBuild supports when it comes to Click-Once, this includes generation of deploy.htm file, so this is something that could be built into Automaton itself.
Oct 27, 2006 at 9:57 PM
LOL. I just spent a ton of hours figuring out how to do ClickOnce deployments in MSBuild/Team Build for a build that would be part of a scheduled task. I found a lot of people who needed to do the same thing but were having difficulties figuring out how. If Automaton could do that it would be awesome.

Also, I also have builds that need to be part of CI and builds that must not be part of CI. So I'm glad to hear the ability to exclude a build from CI will soon be added.

I'm going to install Automaton this weekend :) Thanks for all the hard work!
Nov 2, 2006 at 10:56 AM
Hi,
I saw that the work item 3835 had been marked closed so I have pulled the most recent bits to give them a try, but I don't see how to configure one build to run automatically and not another.

I saw a brief comment about a state file in the temp dir however from looking at the source I didn't see anything jump out and say insert/modify this attribute/element/setting to set this build type to auto/manual/disabled.

Am I missing something?
Coordinator
Nov 2, 2006 at 11:20 PM
The issue was closed, but it had not yet been released. I have now released the new 1.0.10 version which includes added functionality to disable CI for selected projects. There are also other important fixes for some issues that occurred with 1.0.9.

Please download this new version and report any issues back to us and we'll be happy to help and fix it.
Nov 7, 2006 at 5:46 PM
Ok just installed it and don't see where to enable/setmanual/disable the build. Is it in the project details (I get a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when I click on the "+" to expand it.)

Note my team build files do not set a sln to build, but call msbuild on custom .proj files in a BeforeCompile target. (Setting up a single sln is not feasible for our build as we have several hundred different projects that compose the entire tree) Many shops with large trees are setting up their builds this way so you may want to roll that around when thinking about the design.

Anyway nice work so far, very clean UI and fast.

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2006 at 7:14 PM
sweitzel, I have made a test with a team build type that doesn't have any solution files defined and it seems to work fine in the dashboard at least, will investigate more when it tries to kick off a build.

Could you please send me or upload a copy of your team build that uses a custom event for building the .csproj directly? Maybe I could add some support for that too if it's needed.
Nov 21, 2006 at 8:53 PM
@CareBear

I don't see anyway to enable or disable CI builds for specific build types. Can you point this feature out in the GUI?

thanks
-Ken
Nov 21, 2006 at 8:57 PM
Never mind, found it.

-Ken
Dec 19, 2006 at 2:43 PM
Ken,

I'm not finding the disable feature. Can you point me to it?

THX
Curt
Dec 20, 2006 at 8:32 AM
Curt,

You can disable CI from within the tasks section of an expanded build type in the dashboard, look for the "Disable Continuous Integration" link.

Glenn.