CI and Check-Ins.

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 27, 2006 at 12:42 AM
Ok, so Automaton runs all the builds for a project when any file in the project is checked in, correct?

if so, is there anyway we could set up a minimum time for the CI builds. If our team is constantly checking in stuff, then at every check in, builds will be fired off. What about run a build (when a new piece of code (for the project) has been checked in) every 'x' minutes between check ins. So if i check in changeset #100 right now a build is fired. if i check in changeset #101 10 secs later, then no build is ran becuase i need to wait 'x' mins after the last build before i rebuild.

Of course, 'x' is set in some administration page.

I would have builds ran at least in 30 mins intervals if our developers were constantly checking code back in. Of course, if the time between to checkin's is over 30 mins, then the build will only occur at the next check-in.

phew. which i could explain that better :(
Sep 27, 2006 at 2:21 AM
Maybe I misread understood the product ... Automaton fires off the builds when code is checked in, right? Ie. it does CI.

i've checked stuff in and it's not fired off. I can manually fire stuff off using the tasks 'play' button, though. But is it automatic?
Coordinator
Sep 29, 2006 at 12:15 PM
Automaton is still very beta/alpha quality, as I'm sure you understand.

I will not at the current stage implement any ability to setup a threshold for compiles, if it discovers a change (check-in) it will and should start the compilation process.

If someone checks in code during a current build, it should inform Automaton that it should run yet-another build as soon as the first one is completed.

Example:
10:00 - CheckIn occurs
10:05 - Automaton starts the build process
10:10 - CheckIn occurs
10:30 - Build process completes
10:30 - Automaton checks if there is a build scheduled
10:30 - Automaton starts the build process again

Something like that is how it should function when there are now issues :)

I'm working hard on a new update that I will try to have out on Sunday.
Oct 5, 2006 at 5:55 AM
Another thought on this - do u have a rough time frame when automaton will be doing automatic CI? i'm assuming that it is MANUAL right now (ie, i need to click on the button to kick off a build) - when do u think it will be connected to the check-in event?
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2006 at 5:46 PM
It was automatic from the start but some bugs have sneaked in there so it doesn't work in the current release (1.0.8), but the 1.0.9 which I might get out tonight have lots of great fixes.

It was delayed 2-3 extra days due to change in the Visual Studio projects from Web Site Project to Web Application Project.
Oct 6, 2006 at 6:46 AM
Two Thumbs Up, CB! :) I await with glee for the next release :)