Tip: Use Registry for Server settings

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2006 at 6:53 PM
I've added the ability to put server and user account settings for TFS connectin in the Windows registry.

This is usefull during development, as you don't have to make the web.config readable, and you don't have to walk through the wizard.

Put the following in a .reg file and run it on your local machine/server so you won't have to use the configuration wizard after an upgrade:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Automaton
"Server"="server"
"Username"="user"
"Password"="password"
"Domain"="MyDomain"

It will first try to read from the web.config, but if that does not contain a server value, it'll try to find in the registry.
Oct 22, 2006 at 1:52 AM
Heya CB.

i understand what you've said in your post above, but i do not understand why. Could you please explain what was happening before you've made the registry option available in the code and then how the registry entry now effects things, if you choose to use that entry.
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2006 at 7:53 PM
Configuration settings that you supply during installation and setup are stored in the web.config on the root of Automaton web folder.

When you install a new version of Automaton, you have to uninstall the previous version. This will reset your settings to original and you have to go through the wizard again.

But for us developers that are working on this project, we don't want to check-out the web.config, save our own personal connection details and accidently check this into the source control system.

Instead I added the posibility to just put the connection settings in Windows Registry, so we can leave the web.config in standard/default condition.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding you had.