This project is read-only.

Builds State Information

Topics: User Forum
Nov 3, 2006 at 11:24 AM
I'm currently investigating alternative ways to keep the state information of your team build types. The current version of Automaton starts with a clean slate when you install it, it doesn't query the TFS for build information but rather just queries the Source Control and builds up the list that it presents.

Then, as builds occurs, it will start getting state details like last build status, last build time, etc. When the web site is shut down (appdomain is recycled for example) it will save this state to an XML file on the server.

A better solution would be to query the TFS Build Store for all of these details, so even right after you install Automaton, you'll have up-to-date state information on all of your builds.

Why we don't do this yet, is that the TFS Build Store only supports querying ALL of the build details, and not just the latest.

We've reported this on the Microsoft forum and we are looking for an alternative way to get details on the latest build.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=887244&siteid=1

We are open for feedback in this regard, would you rather want us to query TFS Build Store even though it will become slower and slower as the amount of builds you have keep growing? Or do you want us to just keep the current solution with a private state cache?

I will investigate a little more on performance and see if we maybe can make this is an administrative configuration option.
Nov 3, 2006 at 11:56 AM
After initial testing I think the performance is good enough and the benefits are so good that we'll go with this change. Look for the next release of Automaton (1.0.11) for better builds state information after a restart/installation.
Nov 6, 2006 at 1:03 AM
Ah! very nice CB. i was wondering why it always has no info about previous builds, etc - it was because it had it's own xml state store about stuf.

nice change imo :)