Builds not happening automatically

Topics: User Forum
Apr 27, 2007 at 2:45 PM
Can someone explain exactly how automaton knows which paths to monitor to fire a build from a checkin event? We use custom Team Build types, and the SolutiontToBuild items are not set until the AFTERGET target. I thought that perhaps automaton may use the solution path to determine which directories and subdirectories a checkin event should cause a build, but when I tested this by adding some dummy proj files to the SolutionToBuild item in TFSBuild.proj, it still didn't cause a build when items were checked in.

We don't use solutions in some of our Team Builds because we use Delphi 2007 (msbuild compatible). I was able to get Team Builds working for this code base, but for some reason Automaton doesn't seem to recognize checkin events for these build types.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
May 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM
Well, I got the builds to happen automatically - I may not have been waiting long enough previously. Part of the problem is that the TFS projects we use are large (over 1.1 GB), and structured like this:

$/ProjectRoot/Branch1Name/Project1
$/ProjectRoot/Branch1Name/Project2
$/ProjectRoot/Branch1Name/ProjectX
$/ProjectRoot/Branch1Name/Lib
$/ProjectRoot/Branch1Name/Shared
$/ProjectRoot/Branch2Name/Project1
$/ProjectRoot/Branch3Name/Project1
etc.

I noticed that when I check in a file, it causes a GET to happen immediately from $/ProjectRoot to the /temp directory. I'm not sure of the purpose of this GET, but it seems to be very inefficient because it gets ALL source under $/ProjectRoot, and not just the branch where the checkin occurs. Also, because it starts immediately it doesn't seem equipped to handle situations where multiple changesets are generated in a short period of time (a delay before the GET initiates would seem to make sense there). Finally, the Team Build type has its own GET to an entirely different location (the TEAM Build sources directory), so this just seems to add additional overhead and time to our CI builds.

Perhaps some of these issues can be addressed in a future release?

May 2, 2007 at 7:49 PM

SteveOUTS wrote:
I noticed that when I check in a file, it causes a GET to happen immediately from $/ProjectRoot to the /temp directory. I'm not sure of the purpose of this GET, but it seems to be very inefficient because it gets ALL source under $/ProjectRoot, and not just the branch where the checkin occurs. Also, because it starts immediately it doesn't seem equipped to handle situations where multiple changesets are generated in a short period of time (a delay before the GET initiates would seem to make sense there). Finally, the Team Build type has its own GET to an entirely different location (the TEAM Build sources directory), so this just seems to add additional overhead and time to our CI builds.

Perhaps some of these issues can be addressed in a future release?

Hi Steve,

Automaton does perform a GET why I'm not sure at the moment, but I shall found out.

I think a user specified delay between builds similar to how CC.net works would be a good addition so I'll create a work item for it.

Thanks

Glenn.