This project is read-only.

What are the required account permissions?

Topics: User Forum
Nov 3, 2006 at 4:58 PM
I know this may sound strange, but I am tasked to set up CI in TFS but I am not a TFS administrator (I really don't know anything about how the security model in TFS).

I have tried to install the 1.0.10 release and on the last step of the configuration wizard I get the error:
TF50309: You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this operation.

The user I provided to the wizard is the domain user the builds run under. Clearly it doesn't have permission to do something in TFS but I don't know what that something is.

Can you tell me what permissions I need to request to be granted to the user?

Thanks!
Nov 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM
I found the SRL Group "Setting Permissions in Team Foundation" document :) It looks like the "Administer a build" is what I need.
Nov 5, 2006 at 7:42 PM
To walk through the configuration wizard, you need to be part of the Administrators group. This group is coded into the web.config inside the /admin web folder. If you want to change this, you can just manually edit the web.config to specify what group of users should be allowed to use the administration area.

Beware though that this group has write permission on the web.config of the root web (/Automaton).
Nov 6, 2006 at 2:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was able to go through the configuration wizard (my account is a local administrator) but my question was to do with the account that was used to connect to TFS (the wizard prompts you for an account to connect to TFS with). That account, which is the same one that Team Build was using, didn't seem to have the correct permissions in TFS. I requested that "Administer a build" permission be granted to that account and most of the error messages went away.