Team System cache Read Error

Topics: User Forum
Dec 7, 2006 at 6:43 PM
For some reason I get the following error when expanding the '+' signs to get more details:
---
"Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation\1.0\Cache' is denied."
---
If you look at it, it is looking at the "Default User" profile, which is not the account which the TFS build service is being run under.

Also, so you know the Team System cache folder does exist under the account which the Team Build Service is run under.

Is there a way I can correct this?
Coordinator
Dec 10, 2006 at 7:07 PM
It can be corrected by removing the Cache folder. Just to be sure you don't do anything wrong, just move the folder to a different location.

My tips is to always remove the TFS Cache folder if you start having problems with Visual Studio Team System. It's almost always the cause of problems we have with TFS in our office.
Dec 21, 2006 at 1:14 AM
Which "Cache" folder are you referring to? the one located in the "Default User" Profile or in the Windows Profile that is running the TFS build service?

There is no "Cache" in the Default User's profile to begin with.

The only "Cache" folder that exists is in the TFSService users profile. I moved this folder like you suggested and it still gives the same error message:

-----------------
Error Message
-----------------
Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation\1.0\Cache' is denied.
-----------------

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:40 AM
You could try one of the following:

Either give your service account that your build runs under NTFS read/write permissions to 'C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation\1.0\Cache'

Or

by redirecting the cache using the following config setting in the web.config file for automaton and giving your service account NTFS read/write permissions.

<appSettings>
<add key="WorkItemTrackingCacheRoot" value="c:\FolderForCache" />
</appSettings>
Jan 9, 2007 at 12:32 AM
GlennHaworth: Thanks. That did it.

Carebear: Thanks for your help as well as coding an excellent Automated Build tool!!!